Monday, October 31, 2005

In defense of Xiaxue...

The headline and photo screamed out at me from the top of The Sunday Times today. Local blogger loses sponsors or something like that. The photo looked really familiar. Lo and behold, it was one of my blog peeves, Xiaxue in trouble for something she wrote about handicap toilets. So I figured that she had finally said something so stupid that her gormless charm couldn't get her out of. Well...perhaps. But I read the article and realised that there wasn't that much that I took issue with. I mean, handicap toilets are for handicapped people, but if there wasn't a handicapped person around and there weren't any other cubicles available, I would use it. It's common sense. (That said, considering the way that Singaporeans use public restrooms, the impetus is also on users of said handicap facilities to keep said toilet/cubicle CLEAN because handicapped people really don't have too many choices of plumbing facilities available to them.)

Then I read her blog and frankly, although I agree with the spirit of the post, I can see where people would take offense. The writing is antagonistic. The sentiment is barely coherent and the point is almost completely lost.

As much as I would love to continue ranting in this post re: my favourite blog peeve, I don't think I'm up to it tonight. But here's a thought:

Perhaps, if one did not mistake vulgarity and sheer idiocy for controversy, one might have less detractors. One also should not flip the system a bird and then whine about how the system screws one over when all the dust settles. One also has to realise that a blog, as public domain, is privy to all the netizens out there...and there is a plurality of thought as opposed to conformity to ones ego.

Finally, to call oneself the Morning Star is to compare yourself to this. Not very flattering at all.

That said, with a blog, which is a key to said plurality of thought, one has the right to his/her own opinion. I respect that and I think that Xiaxue's definitely gotten the short end of the stick in this case. Shame on all the sponsors that pulled out. Obviously they did not fully comprehend the product they were buying into.

And that's all I have to say about that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home