Friday, August 06, 2004

Hush.

So my voice is gone.
The reason? Simple: The 'C' Division Rugby finals.
Now, most would ask why I continually do this to myself, especially on the eve of a lesson observation, and to those I would simply shrug and say:

"It's AC rugby."

Despite the fact that I continually gripe about my school situation and all that jazz, I still love my school. It's weird, really. I think that for most of my school life I never really participated in any matches or even played in any games. Sports were, as far as I was concerned, never in the grasp of my rather uncoordinated hands. I literally could never catch the ball.
But rugby finals...that was something. Standing in the stands, cheering till my voice gave out, it always made me feel like I belonged. If not to the sport, then to something that was larger than myself. I felt the pain of a loss and the ecstasy that came with victory. It was sublime. It still is.
I swore that I wouldn't do this to myself again, but standing up in the stands with my boys, shouting and cheering, I felt like I was back in school again.

And it felt really good.
So croak croak.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home