Wednesday, April 14, 2004

Masks.

Just discussing with my lit class about masks in Lord of the Flies. Quite interesting really. Then again, I pulled a whole lot of Superhero mythology and masks, referring to texts like Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns and The Mask.
We talked mainly about how masks either liberate or trap people from or in societal norms and either creates a connection to that which is primal, or restricts a person's basic instincts. Examples? Batman and Superman respectively. Golding's characters, I argued, applied the masks and were liberated from society. Of course, because we were talking about comic books, the boys were quite enthralled. I also talked about the much-maligned Daredevil and how his insistence of not being the "bad guy" was always undermined by the wearing of the mantle of the devil. I wish that all Lit classes could be like that.
Walking up from class, I realised not how much I enjoyed that Literature class, but how much I missed pop culture study. I loved the discussion we had but I realised that we were doing what I did in University...And I really want to go back there.
*igh.
Considering the fact that I never spoke up during pop culture classes because I had no idea what people were talking about all the time. :P

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home