Sunday, January 22, 2006

They paved parking lot and put up a paradise...

...uhm...Sort of.

I was driving by Takashimaya today when I realised that the URA carpark opposite Orchard Cineleasure was gone. It was gone, period. About 100 parking lots...gone...and in it's place, a grove complete with trees. Full grown trees. How'd they manage that?

Admittedly, it wasn't quite paradise. It was just a ma(e)ss of greenery where there used to be tarmac. And all the while, I was thinking that a whole lot of prime space had suddenly disappeared. My first thought was Joni Mitchell's Big Yellow Taxi. My 2nd thought was that someone in the government's got a really sardonic sense of irony. My 3rd was "Where the heck am I going to park?"

"Don't it always seem to go, that you don't know what you got till it's gone..."

2 Comments:

Blogger wahj said...

hey - not often they get rid of a car park in favour of greenery! = )

The trees were probably already there: as I remember, it was a well shaded car park, with trees arching over the lots. All they had to do was tear up the asphalt without damaging the roots, dump a bit of soil, and voila.

(verification: mradwl =)

Sun Jan 22, 10:26:00 pm 2006  
Blogger Packrat said...

Agreed re: the carpark for greenery. :)

Tue Jan 24, 08:43:00 am 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home