Wednesday, November 28, 2007

So...it's been a while.

Since my last update:

  1. Work has been busy. Satisfying, but busy. Despite my not actually going anywhere career-wise, I guess I can say that there has been some improvements in the work that I am doing. Looks like a good year ahead (I hope).
  2. I've seen through my second batch of students. And this has been as satisfying or perhaps more so than my previous batch. (The new subject seemed to bring out the best in educational spirits, both for myself and for my students. More experimentation, more ground covered...satisfying)
  3. Fatherhood has gradually sunk in. And it's not as scary as it all seems.
  4. Finally getting some rest from the Sword of Damocles that has been lifted for yet another year. Passed with merit. Don't have to do RT.
  5. Finished American Gods. Great book. Do yourself a favour and go read it.
Now, all there is to do is finish up a bit of work and look forward to Phuket and Bangkok. Fun times ahead!

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

sounds like a good year overall. enjoy your hols man. =) wes

Wed Nov 28, 02:21:00 am 2007  
Blogger YY said...

Very enjoyable blog! Love your wit. Don't mind the cynicism. You do have plenty to be cynical about :-)

About the Oct30, 2006 post:

Emigrate lah! You'll be happier. Seriously. Think of your kids. You don't want them to go through the same grind. Our parent's generation actually had an easier life than us, and for our kids it will be harder than it is for us. It's a shrinking pie. Just read Trisha's latest post where her kid nearly flunked. I'd been thru that kind of heartache too and ask yourself: what are these kids getting traumatized FOR??? Look at the end-result of the Singapore Dream (elite-uncaring-face & father)--is the dream worth pursuing? It's soul-destroying.

I'm now in Vancouver, Canada. Been a Singapore civil servant 1992--2006. It was miserable. Now I'm very happy.

With your foreign qualifications, it should be relatively easy for you to get jobs abroad.

Canada vs. Australia:-
I think the former society is better, but that's my personal view. Had bad experiences with Australians. Long-term future bodes better for NOrth America as a whole. Canada is SOOOO resource-rich (2nd largest oil-reserve in the world, plus gold, diamond, metals), population so few (30+million, that of the state of California), there's more than plenty to go around for a long, long time. In the province I'm in, there's 4+million pp (~ that of Sgp!) and the size of land is larger than Germany, France & Netherlands combined. Boggles the mind, really.People are really relaxed and civic-conscious and plain DECENT. You don't mind if they're not so sharp coz' they're just so NICE. The last thing they'll do is put-down anybody or be smarter-than-thou or be highhanded like youknowwho.

Start planning the move. Than make the move. It's never too early.

Tue Dec 04, 06:16:00 pm 2007  
Blogger YY said...

Oh, to add:

To avoid NS hassles, you need to get out b4 your son turns ... 14? 12? 10?

They just keep lowering the age-limit until I think they'll lower it to zero. Sneaky. Conniving. B*****ds. They keep making it out that it's such a PRIVILEGE (cough, cough) to be a Singaporean. Hell no. I don't have to live with the 'privileges'.

Tue Dec 04, 06:26:00 pm 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home