Saturday, June 09, 2007

Life is Messy, Love is Messier...

...but this movie's the messiest.

Catch and Release was a movie that I was really looking forward to. I caught the trailer during a movie and I really perked up when I recognised Kevin Smith in them. I mean, how bad could it be if Kevin Smith decided to be a part of it?

It could be BAD. Really, really bad.

It was messy. Like really, really messy.

There was a plot...somewhere. It was your basic sappy love story...except...it didn't make sense.
It didn't make sense why the leads fell in love. It didn't make sense why the supporting cast needed to be there. It didn't make sense why the plot had to revolve around the death of the fiance. It was formulaic, granted, most of the romantic comedies out there are. But this was a formulaic love story that was wrapped in a mystery (why they needed a supporting cast when they weren't really all that pertinent to the story at hand) and subsequently entangled in a whole lot of ribbons (plot points that just draaaagged the story...). It tried to be edgy. It tried to be dark. It ended up confused and (shall I say it again?) messy.

Which leads me to my final concluding thought as the credits rolled:

"Let Susannah Grant write. Let her direct. But for goodness' sakes, don't let her do both!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home