Tuesday, August 08, 2006

I am Singaporean.

I was educated overseas because the school system in Singapore did not allow me the flexibility to unlock my potential locally. Despite that fact, I became a teacher here in Singapore.

I spent a better part of my life singing national day songs and waving the flag, only to be disillusioned by the country and government that I have come to see as one and the same. But I get pissed off when I see the young refusing to sing the national anthem.

I am in debt at 30 because houses and cars in my country are too expensive. I pay for them anyway and am happy with the hand that's been dealt.

I like the fact that our streets are safe. But I get worried seeing the same disinfectant qualities in my countrymen's thoughts.

I am a patriot. But only when I leave the country.

I speak good English. But I believe that Singlish is much more fun and I like hearing it spoken in Singapore. But not overseas.

I am ashamed of my countrymen. But I want more for them that they deserve so that they can be a people that I can be proud of.

I drive on the left side of the road.

I believe in diversity. But I believe that it extends to more than just the colour of your skin.

I believe in freedom. But also that freedom without responsibility is just a word.

I believe that national elections are not a joke.

I believe the role of journalists are indeed to champion issues but not to campaign for or against the government.

I know that children are our most precious resources but I don't believe that means that we have to mould them.

I believe that questioning the government is a sign of responsible citizenship.

I want my ratty hawker centers with their delicious value added food.

I like abbreviations and I love the way that Singlish makes it so much easier to be understood lah.

I like chilli crab and Samy's fish head curry and chicken rice but that's all going to kill me someday...and I don't care!

I am Packrat!

And I.

Am.

Singaporean!

So say we all.

3 Comments:

Blogger jacq said...

well said!!

Tue Aug 08, 01:53:00 pm 2006  
Blogger Packrat said...

No...didn't manage to. What theme was it? A variation of or a downright rip off?

Thu Aug 10, 04:19:00 pm 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen to the ratty hawker centres! :-)

Thu Aug 10, 04:33:00 pm 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home