Tuesday, August 08, 2006

I am Singaporean.

I was educated overseas because the school system in Singapore did not allow me the flexibility to unlock my potential locally. Despite that fact, I became a teacher here in Singapore.

I spent a better part of my life singing national day songs and waving the flag, only to be disillusioned by the country and government that I have come to see as one and the same. But I get pissed off when I see the young refusing to sing the national anthem.

I am in debt at 30 because houses and cars in my country are too expensive. I pay for them anyway and am happy with the hand that's been dealt.

I like the fact that our streets are safe. But I get worried seeing the same disinfectant qualities in my countrymen's thoughts.

I am a patriot. But only when I leave the country.

I speak good English. But I believe that Singlish is much more fun and I like hearing it spoken in Singapore. But not overseas.

I am ashamed of my countrymen. But I want more for them that they deserve so that they can be a people that I can be proud of.

I drive on the left side of the road.

I believe in diversity. But I believe that it extends to more than just the colour of your skin.

I believe in freedom. But also that freedom without responsibility is just a word.

I believe that national elections are not a joke.

I believe the role of journalists are indeed to champion issues but not to campaign for or against the government.

I know that children are our most precious resources but I don't believe that means that we have to mould them.

I believe that questioning the government is a sign of responsible citizenship.

I want my ratty hawker centers with their delicious value added food.

I like abbreviations and I love the way that Singlish makes it so much easier to be understood lah.

I like chilli crab and Samy's fish head curry and chicken rice but that's all going to kill me someday...and I don't care!

I am Packrat!

And I.

Am.

Singaporean!

So say we all.

6 Comments:

Blogger jacq said...

well said!!

Tue Aug 08, 01:53:00 pm 2006  
Blogger rook said...

happy national day to you too :)

btw did you catch the NDP on TV last night? I was cracking up at the faux LOTR theme during one of the presentations.

Thu Aug 10, 02:25:00 pm 2006  
Blogger Packrat said...

No...didn't manage to. What theme was it? A variation of or a downright rip off?

Thu Aug 10, 04:19:00 pm 2006  
Anonymous gecko said...

Amen to the ratty hawker centres! :-)

Thu Aug 10, 04:33:00 pm 2006  
Blogger rook said...

it was... let's say, very recognisable. You could almost hum along, except they switched keys (I think. I'm a cultural Philistine remember) on certain parts of the score. But it's very much there -- any LOTR fan would have caught it even if they just had the TV on in the background. It was so obvious I half expected to see footage of MM, SM & PM running across multiple scenes featuring spectacular scenery. Which in our case, would probably consist of Chinatown, Bukit Timah Hill, and the ratty hawker centres ^_^

Thu Aug 10, 10:16:00 pm 2006  
Blogger penelope said...

Yours on singlish, pride for our countrymen, diversity, freedom and the national elections... few have articulated them better in so little words.

If you teach like you write, and there are others like you, where the hell were you guys in the 1980s?

Sat Aug 12, 05:11:00 am 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home